Books Worth a Look

  • Little Bee by Chris Cleave - This book is a must read. Better than anything else I've read, it takes you vividly into the life of a person in the 3rd world who has no choice but to escape. It is brilliantly written & works well as an audio book. Often I've sent info about the wonderful refugees I've met in Europe. We know only so much of their plight as it is painful for them to recall much less live through again by recounting it. But over time it is clear what they've lived through. This book is excellent as you discover the horrors of their world. Somewhat how to me, it is like being in Europe near a Concentration Camp. One has an obligation to visit it. 'Never to Forget.' In this case, to have our eyes opened.
  • Garbage King by Eliz Laird - The book is set on the streets on Addis Ababa, in Ethiopia and here lives Mamo and his sister Tiggist. When Mamo's "uncle" offers a job, he soon sets out on a bus to work. Little does he know that he is actually being sold into slavery...

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Santo Domingo de Heredia, Costa Rica

¡Buenas dias!

Yesterday was my first day of school! 14 other students; most young but very nice, well except for one young lady - ¡dificil!

First two hours of class - Diego taught 3 of us: one from Denmark, the other student from Germany, both pleasant and very helpful! Diego is pleasant and funny though not always intending to be! In the last half hour, he explained the history of sexual relations in Costa Rica. Seems 1900 - 1970, the only way to meet, so to speak, was working in close proximity in the planatation fields!

2nd two hours of class - I was switched to a new teacher (my two companions had already completed 50 hours of Spanish instruction.) Zedia speaks no English so it was interesting. I think she has a love affair with irregular verbs. Woo. But all in all it was ok. Lots to study.
A good thing I studied some vocabulary before I came.

Lunch - almuerzo

I joined a group and we walked to a soda, a small eatery, where I ordered a casado - beans & rice, salad and fish. All for 2000 colones = approximately $ 3.60.

Special afternoon - A movie about Costa Rica and a walking tour of Santo Domingo de Heredia. A city but seems more like a sleepy town. The weather is wonderful 56 at night and 79 - 81 so far in the day time. Sunny so far about 90% of the time.

Arrive at my host family at 5:30 p.m. tired & homework to do.

In re-reading this upon posting, I see how cryptic it is! No doubt due to busy with lots of Spanish work.

NEXT - My hosts: Virginia Naranjo and her son, Arturo, a 24 year old son pharmacist.
P.S. Everyone asks me who I favored. They love OBama !

No comments:

REFLECTIONS & ARTICLES

Thoughts on the amazing people I get to meet.

Rich, my 19 year old friend, soon to be Franciscan and recent community member at Haley House in Boston. An article he wrote.

http://www.capuchinfranciscans.org/pdf/2008%2003%2011%20CVO%20Update%20A%20community%20of%20two%20tables.pdf