Books Worth a Look

  • Little Bee by Chris Cleave - This book is a must read. Better than anything else I've read, it takes you vividly into the life of a person in the 3rd world who has no choice but to escape. It is brilliantly written & works well as an audio book. Often I've sent info about the wonderful refugees I've met in Europe. We know only so much of their plight as it is painful for them to recall much less live through again by recounting it. But over time it is clear what they've lived through. This book is excellent as you discover the horrors of their world. Somewhat how to me, it is like being in Europe near a Concentration Camp. One has an obligation to visit it. 'Never to Forget.' In this case, to have our eyes opened.
  • Garbage King by Eliz Laird - The book is set on the streets on Addis Ababa, in Ethiopia and here lives Mamo and his sister Tiggist. When Mamo's "uncle" offers a job, he soon sets out on a bus to work. Little does he know that he is actually being sold into slavery...

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Hastings

I took Friday off and traveled by train to Hastings in Sussex. It is the home of the Battle of Hastings 1066 - a date all you history lovers surely recall! Also, it is where Foyle's War (detective series taking place during WWII) was mainly filmed - a favorite of mine!

It would be a great place to spend a couple nights to explore Sussex. The City reminds me of a mix of Harpers Ferry, WVA , Ellicott City, MD, and Pisa, Italy. Wrap your minds around that!!

An old section. quaint, replete with many shops, pubs, and places to eat. Fish and chips is available everywhere. Though the price is daunting for us: £5.50 - 7 which in the U.S. at this point is $ 8.95 - 11.39. I passed :-)

There are two lifts, incline cars, available to take you to heights with glorious views across the Channel and toward the Castle and countryside. Many historical sites there and nearby in Rye, Battle, Bexhill etc.

I finally found my gift for my daughter as well as a bookstore with used books - very used for 25p = 1/4 of a pound per book or 10 for £1. I worked hard to find 10, mostly small gifts and humor for people here.

Well, it's back to London for my last week of volunteering. Thursday night we're having a dinner party. They call it Phil's leaving do - go figure!!! Menu will include main course dishes from Senegal, Ethiopia. Algeria, Iran, and the U.S.

Today, my dear friend from Eritrea and I are traveling to Southend near Shoeburyness - what did I say about Brit names! We are meeting Zelda for a day out - including amusement rides.

Sunday, it's the soup kitchen at the Round Chapel - fianlly I'm fit enough to pleasantly bike there through Hackney traffic.

Monday after the cafe, it's a trip to a Quaker Meeting with Chris, Tuesday lunch with Ian, and a get together with Steve. I'm also going to try to fit in short visits to several museums when not working in the Cafe.

Not doing much as usual. :-)

Take care all.

Blessings,

Phil PS Blog entry to follow: Palestinian Monologues - an amazing play I attended.

No comments:

REFLECTIONS & ARTICLES

Thoughts on the amazing people I get to meet.

Rich, my 19 year old friend, soon to be Franciscan and recent community member at Haley House in Boston. An article he wrote.

http://www.capuchinfranciscans.org/pdf/2008%2003%2011%20CVO%20Update%20A%20community%20of%20two%20tables.pdf