Books Worth a Look

  • Little Bee by Chris Cleave - This book is a must read. Better than anything else I've read, it takes you vividly into the life of a person in the 3rd world who has no choice but to escape. It is brilliantly written & works well as an audio book. Often I've sent info about the wonderful refugees I've met in Europe. We know only so much of their plight as it is painful for them to recall much less live through again by recounting it. But over time it is clear what they've lived through. This book is excellent as you discover the horrors of their world. Somewhat how to me, it is like being in Europe near a Concentration Camp. One has an obligation to visit it. 'Never to Forget.' In this case, to have our eyes opened.
  • Garbage King by Eliz Laird - The book is set on the streets on Addis Ababa, in Ethiopia and here lives Mamo and his sister Tiggist. When Mamo's "uncle" offers a job, he soon sets out on a bus to work. Little does he know that he is actually being sold into slavery...

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Yelapa, People You Meet and Am I in San Francisco?

Yelapa

Taking a water taxi turned out to be quite different than the water taxi in the Inner Harbor! You climb aboard a medium size fishing boat, climb over padded benches. Then the fun begins. Fishing boat it may appear, but the outboard motor is akin to a speed boat. A young guy stands in front holding onto a rope for the 45 minute trip.

The front of the boat is aloft & you can only see the boat & the young man standing mit rope. The ride is rugged but not bad. If you can manage, you maneuver around on the bench so you can see the shoreline.

Reaching Yelapa, one discovers that it is a beach landing. (Had I known I would have brought a towel!) Take off your shoes & socks. And yes, the wave will get your shorts wet - don't sweat it! The town is small & somewhat primitive, no cars. A favorite trek is to the waterfalls nearby.

Getting back? Go to the pier at 4 or 4:45. At 4, a boat arrives telling me it's not going now as no one else is ready to go! Shortly thereafter another comes & I board using a ladder strapped to the pier!

The ride back is pleasant as I converse with a Jewish couple from Colorado. The woman tells me she feels freer here in Vallarta, a Catholic land, than she does in Colorado Springs! They gave me great advise about visiting Israel.

No comments:

REFLECTIONS & ARTICLES

Thoughts on the amazing people I get to meet.

Rich, my 19 year old friend, soon to be Franciscan and recent community member at Haley House in Boston. An article he wrote.

http://www.capuchinfranciscans.org/pdf/2008%2003%2011%20CVO%20Update%20A%20community%20of%20two%20tables.pdf