Books Worth a Look

  • Little Bee by Chris Cleave - This book is a must read. Better than anything else I've read, it takes you vividly into the life of a person in the 3rd world who has no choice but to escape. It is brilliantly written & works well as an audio book. Often I've sent info about the wonderful refugees I've met in Europe. We know only so much of their plight as it is painful for them to recall much less live through again by recounting it. But over time it is clear what they've lived through. This book is excellent as you discover the horrors of their world. Somewhat how to me, it is like being in Europe near a Concentration Camp. One has an obligation to visit it. 'Never to Forget.' In this case, to have our eyes opened.
  • Garbage King by Eliz Laird - The book is set on the streets on Addis Ababa, in Ethiopia and here lives Mamo and his sister Tiggist. When Mamo's "uncle" offers a job, he soon sets out on a bus to work. Little does he know that he is actually being sold into slavery...

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Seville and Cadiz

Seville

I was in Seville for 20 hours. It is attractive and I plan to return Saturday afternoon for a 3 hour tour that the hostal gives.

The Cathedral is the 3rd largest church in the world. I believe it. Nearby is the Alcazar which I hope to visit Saturday.

The street near the hostal is great for tasting tapas at night. I met several interesting waiters from Jordan and Paraguay. Ahmad from Jordan introduced me to Barbio wine, a nice white wine.

The hostal, Sammy, is located in the oldest part of Seville, Barrio Santa Cruz, Maze like streets surround it lined with orange trees ready to be picked. Sammys is one of the nicest hostal's I've stayed in.

Cadiz pronounced like KA dith.

Well, the 1st two days it was cold and very windy! Today it began to warm up but still quite windy. Then again it sits right on the Atlantic.

Siesta is for real here. 1:30 to 5:30 p.m. many places are closed, shops and tourist sites!

Will have to see the inside of many places Saturday a.m. as I have classes from 9 - 1:30. Took a great walk through the narrow winding streets today and visited the Museo de Cadiz, excellent.

S.I.C. Spanish in Cadiz is excellent. I like my teacher and she really works us!

Tomorrow after classes hopefully Jerez de la Frontera, one of 3 major sherry producing sites.

Thursday after classes possibly Arcos de la Frontera which sits on a high ridge with sheer precipices.

Cheers!

No comments:

REFLECTIONS & ARTICLES

Thoughts on the amazing people I get to meet.

Rich, my 19 year old friend, soon to be Franciscan and recent community member at Haley House in Boston. An article he wrote.

http://www.capuchinfranciscans.org/pdf/2008%2003%2011%20CVO%20Update%20A%20community%20of%20two%20tables.pdf