Books Worth a Look

  • Little Bee by Chris Cleave - This book is a must read. Better than anything else I've read, it takes you vividly into the life of a person in the 3rd world who has no choice but to escape. It is brilliantly written & works well as an audio book. Often I've sent info about the wonderful refugees I've met in Europe. We know only so much of their plight as it is painful for them to recall much less live through again by recounting it. But over time it is clear what they've lived through. This book is excellent as you discover the horrors of their world. Somewhat how to me, it is like being in Europe near a Concentration Camp. One has an obligation to visit it. 'Never to Forget.' In this case, to have our eyes opened.
  • Garbage King by Eliz Laird - The book is set on the streets on Addis Ababa, in Ethiopia and here lives Mamo and his sister Tiggist. When Mamo's "uncle" offers a job, he soon sets out on a bus to work. Little does he know that he is actually being sold into slavery...

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Chance Meetings

Busily reading on the DLR (Docklands Light Rail) I missed my stop & had to backtrack fortunately. While sitting waiting for train, I noticed wet spots. Guy next to me said he thought at first when I sneezed I got him. We both moved as source unknown.

As often is the case, I'm asked am I on holiday (vacation). I always say I'm here to visit British friends & do volunteer work with refugees. This always leads to questions. This particular person was very interested. He's a free lance photo journalist. He asked so many questions that the 1/2 hour ride flew by. We plan to meet to chat more next week.

I'm certainly glad I missed by stop!

No comments:

REFLECTIONS & ARTICLES

Thoughts on the amazing people I get to meet.

Rich, my 19 year old friend, soon to be Franciscan and recent community member at Haley House in Boston. An article he wrote.

http://www.capuchinfranciscans.org/pdf/2008%2003%2011%20CVO%20Update%20A%20community%20of%20two%20tables.pdf