Books Worth a Look

  • Little Bee by Chris Cleave - This book is a must read. Better than anything else I've read, it takes you vividly into the life of a person in the 3rd world who has no choice but to escape. It is brilliantly written & works well as an audio book. Often I've sent info about the wonderful refugees I've met in Europe. We know only so much of their plight as it is painful for them to recall much less live through again by recounting it. But over time it is clear what they've lived through. This book is excellent as you discover the horrors of their world. Somewhat how to me, it is like being in Europe near a Concentration Camp. One has an obligation to visit it. 'Never to Forget.' In this case, to have our eyes opened.
  • Garbage King by Eliz Laird - The book is set on the streets on Addis Ababa, in Ethiopia and here lives Mamo and his sister Tiggist. When Mamo's "uncle" offers a job, he soon sets out on a bus to work. Little does he know that he is actually being sold into slavery...

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Seeking Asylum

This trip I spent most of my days seeking out individuals who could explain to me the labyrinthian (dictonary has it right - tortuous) system for seeking asylum. Jesuit Relief Services have been great.

Some realities:
  1. Will two people with the same identical situations both get asylum? 1 might; the other definitely not.
  2. Can I work legally while awaiting the Home Office's decison which takes about 10 - 14 years? NOPE. They do provide small flat & a few pounds a week. so sit back, relax, actually try a Rip Van Winkle trip. We'll wake you if anything develops.
  3. If the Home Office straight away says I have no merits for a case, will I be deported? Well, hmm, wait a minute. Depends. Ok, so then what do I do? Disappear might be best.
  4. I came to Europe through Greece is this a problem? Greece has a poor record in how they treat people seeking asylum for torture and persecution. Yeah, that's a problem. We'll deport you. (Honey, could I have another cocktail? And where is that cleaning lady?)
  5. What do I do with 14 years of days of no work (that is 5110 days or 122,604 hours.) Hmm. a good question. Hey, you could watch telly & see our football Manager grimmace. Heck he'll paid only £6m a year. Oh thanks. I can catch the dream. Some day!

Editor's Note: Could Fabio (Manager) possibly live on 1/2 a million a year? Gosh, then the other 5 1/2 could go to paying off national debt, assistance for those most in need, cancer research etc. Ok, just a thought! Silly me.

£6,ooo,ooo = $ 8,895,599.84

No comments:

REFLECTIONS & ARTICLES

Thoughts on the amazing people I get to meet.

Rich, my 19 year old friend, soon to be Franciscan and recent community member at Haley House in Boston. An article he wrote.

http://www.capuchinfranciscans.org/pdf/2008%2003%2011%20CVO%20Update%20A%20community%20of%20two%20tables.pdf