Books Worth a Look

  • Little Bee by Chris Cleave - This book is a must read. Better than anything else I've read, it takes you vividly into the life of a person in the 3rd world who has no choice but to escape. It is brilliantly written & works well as an audio book. Often I've sent info about the wonderful refugees I've met in Europe. We know only so much of their plight as it is painful for them to recall much less live through again by recounting it. But over time it is clear what they've lived through. This book is excellent as you discover the horrors of their world. Somewhat how to me, it is like being in Europe near a Concentration Camp. One has an obligation to visit it. 'Never to Forget.' In this case, to have our eyes opened.
  • Garbage King by Eliz Laird - The book is set on the streets on Addis Ababa, in Ethiopia and here lives Mamo and his sister Tiggist. When Mamo's "uncle" offers a job, he soon sets out on a bus to work. Little does he know that he is actually being sold into slavery...

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

A Mayan Village

I did not fully realize just how indigenous Lake Atitlan is. Each village is carved out of the base of the mountains, thus the hilly terrain. Streets have no name, except Principal. So there´s a main road that snakes around, a pedestrian beltway! Then interconnecting streets which are also cobblestone, but somewhat narrower. Then you move to cobblestone paths, about 2 people wide. Finally there are dirt, sometimes dirt & rocks paths.

It´s quite interesting how safe it is. I went to the Buddha last night with Monica from Germany! Buddha is a typical gringo spot. It´s ok, but places like this here & in Mexico make me wonder about how hard it must be for locals to see such wealth so easily spent.

Buddha is operated by two Americans. There I ran into my Aussi/English friends again, really nice people. After a bit I headed back to the casa. Monica stayed w/ several Germans ladies. As I did not know the area, I simply walked in the direction I thought might work.

Eventually I came upon paths I recognized. In several places, it became quite dark. I hesitated, but found it all fine. People pass you, often saying Buenas noches! Not wanting to hike back up I took a tuc tuc, costs 63 cents! Quite safe & unique.

The vast majority of the people here are Mayan and have experienced the prejudice & injustice of minorioties all over the world. Much like our native Americans, they have been robbed of their land, customs and culture. A lady from Vermont commented that she thought when global warming did its final thing, these people would survive as they´ve learned to survive on little using what is available.

No comments:

REFLECTIONS & ARTICLES

Thoughts on the amazing people I get to meet.

Rich, my 19 year old friend, soon to be Franciscan and recent community member at Haley House in Boston. An article he wrote.

http://www.capuchinfranciscans.org/pdf/2008%2003%2011%20CVO%20Update%20A%20community%20of%20two%20tables.pdf